Basic project data
Project ID: PA1A010
Need and added value for the Danube Region Strategy
Contribution to the development of innovative Danube vessels.
OBjeCTIVE(S) oF the PROJECT
Support of the further development of ship technologies for reducing the environmental impact of Danube navigation. The project focused on the elaboration and development of innovative vessels and technology solutions with high potential for implementation.
Conducted project activities
The considered issues relate to improved energy efficiency, reduction of exhaust gas emissions, safe and economical vessel operation, alternative structural solutions as well as the possible use of alternative fuels to marine gas oil.
The project contained the following tasks:
- Collection and evaluation of data on conditions for ship operation on the Danube (navigation conditions, infrastructure conditions, Danube fleet composition, general market developments)
- Analysis of solutions derived from existing R&D projects with respect to their potential for implementation and further development in the Danube region
- Elaboration and assessment of different technology solutions comprising e.g. altered main dimensions of vessels, different pushed formations, alternative structural solutions, application of different materials, air lubrication, improved propulsion devices and hull forms development and assessment of first concepts comprising motor cargo vessels and pushed convoys for different operational regions in the Danube corridor
- Provision of recommendations for further technology development within the framework of the Danube Region Strategy
The project covered the entire Danube, considering solutions for different stretches of the Danube.
Project beneficiaries / target groups
- Shipping companies
- R&D organisations
status and timeframe
Start date: 01.07.2012
End date: 31.12.2013
The project is already concluded.
The invitation for submission of project proposals was made public to potentially interested applicants in the Supplement to the Official Journal of the European Union, using the means of a voluntary ex ante transparency notice (OJ/S S79, 24-04-2012).
Total budget: 289,474 EUR
EU funds: 275,000 EUR were funded by DG REGIO - Direct Grant (pilot project for EUSDR PA1A)
National funds: 14,474 EUR (state budget of PAC)
Project leader: via donau – Österreichische Wasserstraßen GmbH / Austria
Address: Donau-City-Straße 1; 1220 Vienna / Austria
- DST Entwicklungszentrum für Schiffstechnik und Transportsysteme e.V. / Germany (project coordinator)
- Schiffbautechnische Versuchsanstalt in Wien GmbH / Austria
- Ship Design Group SRL / Romania
- University of Belgrade, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering / Serbia
- Österreichisches Institut für Raumplanung GmbH / Austria
Project Cross - Reference
MoVe IT! (PA1A062) and PROMINENT (PA1A112)
Data provided by: Juha Schweighofer (via donau / Austria) - 20.02.2012
Last update by: Juha Schweighofer (via donau / Austria) - 25.03.2013